India and Kansas State University have been linked together since 1954. It began when the United States government through its International Cooperation Agency requested several land grant universities to assist in a project to help India increase food production by strengthening its agricultural institutions. Kansas State University completed its part of this program in August 1972. The actual work had taken sixteen years (1956-1972) and involved sending 59 faculty members to India. Many more supported the project on the campus at Manhattan and this effort continues to date.
Today agriculture and its allied industries provide a living for 70 percent of the Indian population and account fore nearly half of India’s national income. Popularly called the “Green Revolution” this effort has made a big difference to help India become self sufficient for its agricultural needs. Kansas State University is proud of its role in helping with this revolution.
For more information, visit:
International agricultural programs, Kansas State University: Sixteen years in India, a terminal report.