Cereal Chemistry Laboratory
Cereal Chemistry Laboratory (CCL)
The Cereal Chemistry Laboratory (CCL) is a multifunctional lab in Kansas State University's Department of Grain Science and Industry. Located in the Shellenberger Hall, the CCL has professional staff and well-equipped facilities to conduct research related to cereal science and grain-based products. We work closely with other departments, universities, and industries to provide research, consulting, training and testing services related to cereal products.
Vision, Mission, and Goal Statement
- Vision: Be a key resource in cereal chemistry research and education.
- Mission: Provide excellence in research and education in cereal chemistry.
- Goals: Develop nutritious and innovative cereal grain foods and food ingredients and provide relevant education and meaningful technical service.
- Cereal protein chemistry, modification, and functionality
- Biologically active cereal proteins and peptides
- Functional cereal foods and whole grains
- Cereal food innovation, including gluten-free products
- Ancient grains
- Food nanotechnology
About the Program Leader
Yonghui Li is an assistant professor in the Department of Grain Science and Industry, Kansas State University, USA, where he also obtained his doctoral degree of grain science. Prior to that, he received his bachelor’s degree in chemical engineering and master’s degree in biosystems engineering, both from Zhejiang University, China. He currently teaches undergraduate and graduate courses related to grain analysis and protein chemistry and leads the department’s cereal chemistry research program. He is conducting research in the field of cereal chemistry and baking science, especially focusing on understanding the structure, chemistry, interaction, and functionality of cereal proteins and other components for quality and functional cereal grain food and product development. He has published more than 30 journal articles and delivered more than 40 presentations at professional conferences. He is a professional member of AACC International, IFT, and ACS.