Welcome to K-State Grain Science and Industry
Welcome to the Department of Grain Science and Industry at Kansas State University! Our globally unique programs are recognized for the quality of its graduates and the excellence of its faculty and staff. Students enroll in our academic programs to pursue undergraduate degrees in milling, bakery and feed science & management, and M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in grain science. Industry professionals from around the world seek out our department for continuing education via on-campus courses taught in our state-of-the-art facilities and via distance education courses. Companies come to our campus to support our education, research and outreach programs, and most importantly to engage our faculty and hire our graduates. The field of grain-based food and feed science is fast-growing and ever-changing. We at K-State are proud to be the primary training ground of managers and technology specialists who lead businesses and organizations to preserve the harvest, process grains into products, and feed the world. Whether you are a future student, a parent, or a business looking for education, research or employees, we thank you for your interest in our programs. We in the department are truly excited about being an integral part of this important science and industry. We hope that this excitement flows through everything we do! If you would like to talk to someone about our programs, we would like to encourage you to contact us at 785-532-4051 or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Latest Happenings in GSI
- David Wetzel presents at forensic microscopy meeting (June 2015)
- Greg Aldrich was interviewed by the Western Producer (an agricultural paper in Canada) regarding pulses in pet food (May 2015)
- Dr. Yong-Cheng Shi delivered the Belfort Lecture at the Whistler Center for Carbohydrate Research at Purdue (May 2015)
- In a Flash – Conditions Can Develop Quickly for Grain Dust Explosions
- Gifts in kind benefit the Bakery Science Club, produce learning experiences for students (December 2014)
- KSU Feed Scientists collaborate to provide solutions to feed safety concerns (December 2014)
- Dr. Madl helps lead on-campus Biodiesel Initiative (December 2014)
- Patent issued for substance with medical benefits. A novel jelly-like substance developed by Grain Science and Industry researchers was recently issued a U.S. patent (November 2014)
- Summer 2015 Study Abroad trip to Turkey has been postponed.
- Three Grain Science graduate students will represent the university at the 12th Capitol Graduate Research Summit in early 2015 (October 2014)
- Feed technology research and O.H. Kruse Feed Technology Innovation Center featured in "This Week in Agribusiness"
- Sister Act 3: the varying experiences of the Bokelman sisters in the Grain Science field
- Grains Science and Industry is searching for an Assistant Professor in Animal Feed and Pet Food Processing Safety
- Grains Science and Industry is searching for an Assistant Professor in Cereal Biochemistry, 9-month appointment
- Jennifer Frederick and Dr. Subramanyam Bhadriraju awarded sustainable agriculture grant (August 2014)
Latest Publications by GSI Faculty
- Bulk Flow Properties of Hard and Soft Wheat Flours. 2015. Qi Bian, Sichaya Sittipod, Anubha Garg, R.P. Kingsly Ambrose. Journal of Cereal Science, 63: 88-94.
- Applications of Discrete Element Method in Modeling of Grain Postharvest Operations. 2014. Josephine Boac, R.P. Kingsly Ambrose, Mark Casada, Ronaldo Maghirang, Dirk Maier. Food Engineering Reviews, 10.1007/s12393-014-9090-y
- Wheat Mill Stream Properties for Discrete Element Method Modeling. 2014. Abhay Patwa, R. P. Kingsly Ambrose, Huyla Dogan, Mark Casada. Transactions of the ASABE, 57(3): 891-899.
- Dispersion, efficacy, and persistence of dichlorvos aerosol against two flour beetle life stages in a mill. 2014. Bh. Subramanyam, Dhana Raj Boina, Frank Arthur. Journal of Stored Products Research, 59:96-100.
- Improvements in Quantification of Biomass Feedstock Availability to a Biorefinery Using a GIS-Based Method. 2014. Adrian Martinez-Kawas, D.E. Maier. Transactions of the ASABE, 57(2):533-542.
- Evaluation of Synergized Pyrethrin Aerosol for Control of Tribolium castaneum and Tribolium confusum (Coleoptera: Tenebrionidae). 2014. K. Kharel, F. Arthur, K.Y. Zhu, J. Campbell, Bh. Subramanyam. Journal of Economic Entomology, 107(1):462-468. http://dx.doi.org/10.1603/EC13355
- Particle Size Analysis of Two Distinct Classes of Wheat Flour by Sieving. 2014. Abhay Patwa, Blake Malcolm, Jonathan Wilson, R. P. Kingsly Ambrose. Transactions of the ASABE, 57(1):151-159.
- Low-Lignin mutant biomass resources: Effect of compositional changes on ethanol yield. 2014. Yadhu Guragain, K.M. Ganesh, Sunil Bansal, R. Sai Sathish, Nageshwara Rao, Praveen Vadlani. Industrial Crops and Products, 61:1-8.
- Adhesion properties of soy protein crosslinked with organic calcium silicate hydrate hybrids. 2014. Min Jung Kim, Xiuzhi Susan Sun. Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 131(17) DOI: 10.1002/APP.40693
- The Case for Refined Grains in a Balanced Diet. 2014. Rebecca Miller. Cereal Foods World, 59(3):137-140. http://dx.doi.org/10.1094/CFW-59-3-0137